I was chatting with @clamtime this morning about fanart and realized I have a bunch of rules I follow…So I figured I’d share them. I really love making fan art—it’s wonderful to share the joy with other fans—and these “rules” keep me loving it. These are my personal rules, of course, so your mileage may vary. If you’re on twitter, we’re talking about it under the hashtag #fanartcode.
Rori’s Personal Rules for Fanarting:
1. Always have fun.
2. Only draw what I want/like, not what I *think* will be popular/get me exposure.
3. Always draw more original art than fan art.
4. Experiment! Established charterers make good templates for exploring new styles/media.
5. Show respect to and/or don’t troll the creator(s)/stewards of the characters; I’m in their house.
6. Take compliments on art/style as personal compliments; they are.
7. Don’t count on the fan art attention to transfer to my own creations.
8. Resist being seduced by the attention; keep focus on creations I own.
9. If it gets more that a few steps away from the est. character, stop—consider if this is now an original creation.
10. If it stops being fun move on.
IMAlive is a live online network that uses instant messaging to respond to people in crisis. People need a safe place to go during moments of crisis and intense emotional pain.
Holy shit this is brilliant
AMAZING. BOOST IT.
Everyone: this webcomic is a good read.
If you like dramatic/comedic/real-life comics dealing with relationships, sex, school, drug use, and all the other fun college stuff with a diverse cast (including well-written female, gay and POC characters, say wha…?) you should really check out Pictures of You. There is a huge archive to sink your teeth into and it’s STILL UPDATING, and will be regularly for several more years.
Here’s some non-Tumblr stuff that I have going on this week:
My webcomic, Tiny Pink Robots, is currently updating M-W-F: http://www.tinypinkrobots.com
The Ladies’ Drink & Draw I founded now has a public page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MadamesdesComiques
We shall now return to your regularly schedule art :)